From today you can now use AppFurnace to build and publish Android and iPhone apps!
The new Preview tool allows you to preview how your app will look on many Android phones in addition to the iPhone
What do I need to do to get my apps ready for Android?
You don't need to do much - your existing apps can now be run on Android or iPhone.
One issue you'll run into though is that Android phones come in a variety of different screen sizes. Luckily, AppFurnace has an easy way of marking up your widgets to make them lay out correctly on differently-sized screens. You can then use the new Preview tool to try out your apps on different screen sizes to check it always looks perfect.
Check out the Making your pages lay out properly on phones with different sized screens help document for more information on how this works
Can I test my apps on an Android phone before publishing?
The Android version of AppFurnace Player, the utility app you can use to test your app on an iPhone, is available on the Google Market.
If you're using the Market app on your Android phone, search for AppFurnace Player and you'll see the app. It's free.
Which Android phones will it work on?
AppFurnace is designed for devices that run Android OS 2.2 or later (sometimes called Froyo).
If you're not sure what version your phone has, go to Settings / About Phone / Android Version.
Check out the Android Phone Compatibility Help Page for more information on which phones have been tested, and what issues have been found (if any).
How do I publish an Android app?
If you'd like to publish your app on Android, drop us a line at [email protected],
What else is new?
- The new Preview tool allows you to choose between the iOS and Android operating systems, and lets you switch between different screen sizes.
- You can control how your widgets are laid out on different screen sizes using the new on other screen sizes feature.
- You can turn off the Preview Map and Log windows. The Preview loads a lot faster if you turn the map off.
- The Page widget has a new property image position to control the vertical position of the background when the crop option is used.
- Lots of minor bugfixes and visual changes.